Emmanuel Lutheran Church
 Call us: 614-443-9491
HomeAbout UsContact UsNewsletterCalendarChurch Bulletin 
Lutheran Hour Ministries Daily Devotion

The History of Emmanuel Lutheran Church
The conception of a Lutheran church in south Columbus was the brainchild of Mrs. Malinda Obetz, a member of Grace Lutheran Church, who approached the City Mission Board with the idea of a new Sunday School. Since no Lutheran church existed in the area from Fulton and Third all the way to Obetz, hundreds of children were without any source of religious education, and the population of the area was growing with the advent of industry in south Columbus. Even the Lutheran churches that did exist conducted services and Sunday School in German, which left out most of the children. The mission board approved the plan and a storeroom was rented at 1908 South High Street.

An advertisement in The Columbus Dispatch announced the opening of an
 "English Lutheran Sunday School" at 2:30 in the afternoon, Sunday, May 9, 1897. Because of the hard work of Mrs. Obetz, and her sister, Mrs. Lettie Henry, the afternoon was so successful that the storeroom was filled. The Mission Board was convinced that a great need existed, and the Sunday School continued with growing numbers. Shortly after the beginnings of the Sunday School, various Columbus pastors conducted regular church services in the storeroom.n advertisement in The Columbus Dispatch announced the opening of an "English Lutheran Sunday School" at 2:30 in the afternoon, Sunday, May 9, 1897. Because of the hard work of Mrs. Obetz, and her sister, Mrs. Lettie Henry, the afternoon was so successful that the storeroom was filled. The Mission Board was convinced that a great need existed, and the Sunday School continued with growing numbers. Shortly after the beginnings of the Sunday School, various Columbus pastors conducted regular church services in the storeroom.
Malinda Obetzalinda Obetz
Dr. L.H. Schuh
Dr. L.H. Schuh, then President of Capital University, was largely responsible for the events to follow. As superintendent and Seminary instructor, Dr. Schuh, with the help of students, instilled Lutheran doctrine in the minds of those attending the new Sunday School. Dr. Schuh confirmed nine catechumens late in June, 1898, and on July 10, 1898, a meeting was held, in which those confirmed and several others who had transferred from their home churches met to plan for a permanent congregation. On September 10, 1898, the formal organization of Emmanuel Lutheran Church took place. Twenty-three people became charter members of the congregation. On December 11, 1898, Dr. Schuh installed Pastor Bachman as 
Pastor Bachman